Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fermyn Wood - 17th July

With Matthew seeing 134 individual Purple Emperor at Fermyn yesterday, I just had to go and see for myself! Despite, by all accounts, today being a little "quieter", I still saw more than 50 individuals myself (I gave up counting since I found one every 50 yards or so), which is more iris than I've seen in the last 3 years put together! Arriving at 0745, I saw my first grounded Emperor at 0805 and it carried on like that until at least midday, with a definite peak of grounded males between 1000 and 1100.

It was great to meet up with the man himself, and Matthew pointed out various master trees and "breakfast tables" (e.g. fox scats!). This was extremely helpful since Fermyn is a big place, even when sticking to the Lady Wood, Souther Wood, Titchmarsh Wood and Greenside Wood block as I did. If you want to see a Purple Emperor and get some decent photos of this beasty, get to Fermyn now!




No comments: